- 2 Bunches Kale, chard, collards or spinach.
- 1 @ 500g frozen organic peas thawed
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 salt reduced stock cubes (Massel stcok cubes are vegetarian but not organic)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 heaped tsp ground seaweed or kelp granules
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- Chia seeds to sprinkle on top
Place 2L of water in a stockpot with the onion quartered and the bay leaves and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the bottom part of the kale stems and slice the kale into large chunks. Add the peas, kale and all other ingredients and cook for 10 minutes with the lid removed. Let the soup cool slightly, remove the bay leaves and blend thoroughly in a blender in batches. Return soup to pot and add 2 cups of soy milk, warm, sprinkle with chia seeds and serve. This soup with is best consumed in 3 days.
I have included seaweed in this recipe as most Australians are iodine deficient and it is important for thyroid function. You cannot taste it in this recipe. I purchase clean seaweed from Tasmania in a 1kg pack and then grind it to a powder in my blender and store it in a glass jar - I also add it to my sourdough bread.